Sunday, April 01, 2012

A Monumental reminder

History--especially U.S. history--is one of my greatest interests.  Whenever possible, I visit the places, read the accounts, and marvel at how so many stories unfold and intersect.  Which is why it is amazing to me I had no idea this monument existed.

Until the family and I saw this movie Friday night.

It's somewhat illustrative, I suppose, that first-time visitors to this place are said to ask "how can something so huge be so hidden?"  The same applies to the worldview that shaped this nation--a worldview that many now exert great effort to mock, distort or remove entirely from view.  

When anything is designed and engineered, it includes intended specifications and systems of operation.  Stray from those parameters and it will malfunction, sometimes becoming damaged beyond repair.  Want to know why America is in such poor shape?  Look no further than to the 'operating manual' carved into granite on a hill in Massachusetts.  They provide a thorough diagnosis for those with "eyes to see" and "ears to hear."

Of all the many statements made in the movie Monumental, this call to action is the one I hope people will take to heart: the truth that once guided us can restore us.  The key is not to look to the White House... it's for each of us to look to our house.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

No comments:

Site Meter